Friday, April 04, 2008

The Deluded War

Last Saturday I went to the movies at PVR. I usually go alone these days as my wife is away minting US Dollars for my MBA study (which, as it turns out, was not necessary after all not that i have got admission to GLIM). Anyway, I was searching for something interesting and that’s when it caught my eye. A giant snake wrapped around some huge skyscraper. No, it wasn’t the New York twin towers - the disaster magnet in all English movies... (funny how that turned out eh?).

Almost immediately something in me also raised its ugly head... kinda like I was being drawn to it. I sometimes wonder if I’m a snake in disguise - my wife swears that I hiss in my sleep and I keep telling her its my way of snoring... I slither around in bed but that’s normally in search of the blanket that fell of while I was slithering... so on and so forth.

So, it was a new release, an English movie - D-War. I found myself drawn to the counter. On the way, my foot slipped and I almost fell face first. Was it a sign or just coincidence? I did not pay heed. I rushed over to the counter.

"Do you have tickets left for D-War?" I asked.

The clerk gave me a smile and asked "How many sir?"

"One, can I choose the seats please?"

"Oh, that won’t be necessary. You'll find that you can comfortably sit anywhere" That was the second sign. I still did not pay heed. But I did pay the clerk Rs 200/- for the ticket.

Wondering why none of the seats seemed to be taken, I move to the frisking area. As soon as they made sure that i did not have outside food on me in the guise of security check, I was ushered into the waiting area. After just 5 mins, the announcement for the movie was flashed on the display. I went in, accompanied by hardly 15 similar souls. It was 10 AM

The movie started off with an old man telling a child some story about some snake sand dragons… I lost my interest somewhere about that time… I looked at my watch.. 10:02AM. Great! It’s gonna be lovely aint it?!

Well, to sum it up, to say that I was clinically depressed after seeing it would be an understatement!! I’m yet to get over the effects... and I think its affecting the little brain that I have.. I’m still depressed, and about to kill myself for the Rs200 I paid for the ticket.

People sitting on my either side left by the time of the break. Smart… which is not something that I can say so myself… (Well, in this context!!) Since I had nothing better to do, I sat thru the whole ordeal, my brain going numb with every passing minute. Really, after the movie, all those sinful souls (I’m certain it was providence punishing us) who sat thru the entire drab walked out of the theatre like a group of zombies... I’m not kidding... not my imagination... honest... I’m pretty sure they sprayed some biological contaminant during the show...

By the time I found myself, I had somehow managed to reach the ground floor... and soon I fled from Forum. I was more worried about the looks that people were giving me. It was like I had done some big crime... I vividly remember someone shouting, "Stop that man!"... dunno if they meant me but I dint wait to find out!!

No comments: